Saturday, June 9, 2007

Shoeless Dawn

Normally when I commute by train I will wear flip-flops, Teva sandals, sneakers or some other type of easily walkable footwear (obviously my choice varies by season and weather). I'll put my sandals or heals on when I get to the office. On Thursday I was at an afternoon meeting that ran late. When it was finally over I bolted out of the meeting (leaving my jacket behind that a co-worker graciously picked up for me) to catch my train. Since the meeting ran late, I did not have enough time to change shoes so I was left to walk in my slip on sandals.


These sandals are actually quite comfortable and I have no problem walking in them for long distances. However speed and slip on do not mesh. I inadvertently lost my shoe at least twice on my walk to the train. As I stepped forward, off came my shoe and down came my heel on the pavement. That felt good.


I managed to walk up the stairs to my platform as my train was just stopping to load passengers. I sat and read my book and was grateful to have caught my train. Once near my stop, I waited in the aisle along with the other passengers. I was about 5 people deep.


As I was exiting the train, I was completely distracted by the guy in front of me. As I got to the last step, off came my shoe once again. This time, however, it didn't just fall off. It fell UNDER the train. Good times. So, I had to hold up the line and sort of climb under the train (in a skirt nonetheless) to retrieve my shoe. Now that was fun.


I'm glad I could provide dinnertime conversation for people that evening. 'Honey, you gotta listen to this. There was this woman getting off the train….'

No comments: