Monday, July 2, 2007

For It's 1, 2, 3 Strikes You're Out...

My mom and Bob were in town visiting this past weekend. On Saturday we went to see the Phillies play the Mets. Although I grew up a Yankees fan and technically now that I live in Philly I'm "supposed" to be a Phillies fan, it was fun to see the Mets win. What a crowd. We ended up in the Mets section - or at least it seemed like it. Hearing their chants - so fun. Phillies fans are crazy too. The mascot is called the Phanatic if that says anything about the fans here. If only I lived my Christian life with the passion that either team's fans have. Of course, for many of them, the libations are helpful in increasing their passion. Alas, I digress.

Tim McGraw threw out the first pitch. He and Faith Hill were in concert right next door that night so he was in town already. Seemed only fitting since his dad Tug McGraw was a Philly. It was fun to have someone I 'know' throw out the first pitch. Personally I would have loved to play the role of catcher or even ball girl who got to bring him the baseball to throw but whatever. I know, can't always get what you want.

On Sunday the three of us went to one of my favorite places in all of Philadelphia - the Italian Market. Basically it's an open market with local farmers selling fresh fruits and veggies. There are also many butchers, fish markets, gourmet markets, cheeses, coffees and restaurants down there as well. I just love it. We ate lunch down in a section of Philly called Old City. We walked down to the water and got to eat ice cream. The weather both days was absolutely beautiful - really couldn't have asked for better - so we wanted to take advantage.

Times like this weekend make me grateful I moved back east to be closer to my family. They truly are a joy to be around. They are a gift.

1 comment:

Katie Sue said...

The baseball game and really the whole weekend sound idyllic! I can't believe you got baseball, country music and good looking men all in one outing! I'm SO jealous! I hope you thought of me as you cheered on the Phillies! For I truly am a baseball Phanatic! :-)