Wednesday, October 31, 2007

DST Issues

So, I'm a Rachael Ray fan. I admit it; I'm not afraid. I tape her daytime show every day. I admit that many times I'll fast forward through a large chunk of it, especially if what's for dinner is something I'd never make or she has a guest that I have no interest in or a segment that does not apply to me. But I do tape daily.


I came home on Monday from a very insane day of work. It was one of those where you feel like an entire week has passed in one day. I made some dinner and settled down to watch Monday's episode. I rewound my tape to the beginning, a very good place to start so I hear. I pushed play and suddenly on my screen is the show The View. Now in my market, The View comes on after RR. So, I hit stop (thinking maybe I had taped after RR a bit too far and didn't rewind the tape enough). My tape nearly immediately stopped and after pressing play again (just to be sure) realized there would be no RR for me. I kept thinking, I swear I set the VCR for the correct time (yes, I still use a VCR). So, I programmed RR for both Tuesday and Wednesday of this week. Since I have small group on Tuesdays, I knew I wouldn't be able to watch until Wednesday and wanted to not forget to tape Wednesday's episode. I checked and re-checked the times on the programming just to be sure.


I get to work this morning (Wednesday) and get an email from a co-worker regarding Daylight Savings Time and changing our clocks this weekend. There was a link so I clicked on the article and it hit me. That's why my VCR taped the wrong show. My VCR (and many people's electronic devices) is set for the old DST which was this past Sunday. (No wonder why the clock on my computer was wrong when I was on it on Monday night. I just assumed my computer was having an off night. It is getting old in computer years.)


So, you know what that means? My VCR taped two more episodes of The View on Tuesday and Wednesday this week and not one ounce of RR. Bummer. I missed some good stuff. Well, at least I assume I did. I guess I'll have to wait for repeats to come on this summer.


The moral of this story is, check your electronic equipment to make sure it has the correct time and don't forget to change your equipment again this Saturday night. Unless you're in AZ. Or parts of IN. Then you can just laugh at those of us who have these DST 'issues.'

2 comments:

Katie Sue said...

Don't be ashamed to admit you are an RR fan! I tape her daytime show every day too. I'm convinced it's the only reason I get up and work out every morning. No shame there. Also, love your Sound of Music reference. And I must admit I am happy to live in a land of no time change; I'm too forgetful to remember anyway. :-) Hope you got to see So You Think You Can Cook? Quite entertaining!

Anonymous said...

Indiana, I believe, actually changed their law regarding DST and observes it statewide now. I only know this because the time change was throwing off car setup calculations at the Indy 500 last year.