Saturday, October 20, 2007

Fummer or Sall

It’s hard to know what to call this time of year. I mean this literal time of this literal year. It’s fall; the calendar tells me so, the shorter days tell me so, the leaves changing colors and falling from trees tell me so. Apparently the weather did not quite get the memo, at least not in my neck of the woods.

No, in my neck of the woods summer is holding on. Temperatures have tied, broken or come ridiculously close to records. The humidity was so thick yesterday that every curl on my head was a big frizzy mess and my skin felt wet. Okay, so the fact that it rained yesterday didn’t help that. The Philadelphia area is on track to not just break but demolish the heat record set during this month back in 1971. I wasn’t even born in 1971. That year the average temp in October was 6 point-something degrees higher than normal. This year we are on track for 8 point-something degrees higher than normal and there are still nearly 2 weeks left in the month. Apparently this is a big deal since the weather guy had all sorts of graphics about it yesterday. Monday temps are supposed to hit 80+ degrees.

Am I complaining about this? Not me. This thinned out blood from her years in Arizona girl is quite enjoying the warmer temps. Yes, it’s hard to figure out what to wear each day; especially when you went ahead and put most of your summer clothes away and took out the fall and winter pieces during the first cold spell (okay official fall weather) that we had. But complaining I am not.

It’s just weird that it’s dark in the mornings and the sun is setting earlier yet the temps are calling for barbeques and lazy nights on the porch. The thing that makes me a bit nervous (slightly too strong of an emotion but I was in need of a word) is we may just skip fall temps all together and be thrown into the dreaded cold of winter. I shudder at the thought. My thin blood needs a transition.

I have a love-hate relationship with fall. I love the slightly cooler temps (in a normal fall), the chance to wear boots and light sweaters, the lower humidity, the leaves changing colors, apple cider, homemade apple sauce, and baking again since I hate to put the oven on in the summer among many other things. But I know that winter is just around the corner. That thought makes me dread this time of year.

This year I get to hold on a bit longer to the warm temperatures. My butt and hips will enjoy the lack of baked goods and my taste buds will enjoy it all the more in a short while. For now, I’m going to try to live in the present. I’m going to try to enjoy this time of year for as long as it’s around. I’ll try to get the most out of the rest of this fummer or sall season.

No comments: