Monday, March 24, 2008

Evan Almighty

I watched Evan Almighty today and like Bruce Almighty before it, I was pleasantly surprised by how much I liked it and how much I took from it.

It reminded me that God does often ask us to do absolutely crazy things yet there is a very good purpose behind it. It might make absolutely no sense to us at the time and we may be accused of and even feel like we are in need of professional help. But it all makes sense in the end.

It reminded me that God does in fact have a sense of humor. I love watching God (Morgan Freeman) laugh at man (Evan). In one scene Evan says to God that building an ark is not in his plans. God gets a good laugh out of man talking about his plans. I imagine God gets quite a good kick out of me when I do or say the same thing.

It reminded me that God does in fact show up in some crazy ways and some crazy places but always at the right time. If we are attuned to him, we’ll know that it is in fact him. Otherwise it just seems like utter randomness or a really sweet waiter.

It reminded me that there is an 11th commandment – thou shalt do the dance. Okay, so maybe that isn’t something the movie reminded me of but the whole dance thing was pretty funny. God does invite us to do the dance.

If you haven’t seen the movie you should. It’s funny, it’s cute and it’s a good reminder that God really does want to be in relationship with us. You too just might take something from it.

No comments: