Tuesday, September 23, 2008

The Duchess

A few weeks ago I got free tickets to attend a premier of the new movie The Duchess. No, this was not one of those fancy Hollywood premiers with a red carpet but it was a free movie.

It's not that this movie is poorly done. The acting is impeccable. Ralph Fiennes does a great job of making you hate him. Kiera Knightley does a great job portraying The Duchess. The scenery and costuming are beautiful. But I hated this movie.

It's the content that bothered me. It's okay for a married man to share his bed with whomever he chooses. His wife is expected to look the other way; to support his decision even. It reminded me a lot of The Other Boleyn Girl if you've seen that. I just makes (made) me mad.

It also made me really glad I was born when I was. Really glad.

No comments: