Thursday, August 23, 2007

Questions

I came across this quote by poet Rainer Maria Rilke. It says,

Have patience with everything that remains unsolved in your heart. Try to love the questions themselves…. At present you need to live the question. Perhaps you will gradually, without even noticing it, find yourself experiencing the answer.

I feel like I have so many questions. It's funny; I really like to ask questions so it shouldn't be a surprise that I have so many. But it still throws me at times. I get so caught up in wanting to find the answer, wanting to figure out the why. Usually it just leaves me frustrated and with more questions. So, instead, perhaps i need to try to love the question itself. Not just try to love it but also live it. Yeah, I don't know how to do that either. So basically I'm asking - how do I do that? Isn't that another question though? See the cycle?

I need to recognize that there are things that remain unsolved in my heart. I need to try (thank God is does not say to have it all figured out) to love the question itself. I need to live the question. Then maybe, just maybe, I will find myself experiencing the answer. That's what I should hope for - to experience the answer and not just to find it. Something tells me that not only will the answer be more powerful that way but that I might actually remember it later.

1 comment:

Katie Sue said...

I like the last sentence of your blog. I think that's the key; by God allowing us to experience the answer, as opposed to Him just telling us, our feeble brains might remember it just a little bit better. Of course, our abilities to remember are so weak in the first place that we need all the help we can get.

On another note, I love questions too. So keep asking, and if people don't want to listen anymore, come to me and we can ask and seek together. :-)