Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Run Forrest, Run

Last night I went to see a free movie with two crazy friends. I got free passes from a woman at work to go see Becoming Jane. I went with two friends, both named Andrea. It reminded me of that old Bob Newhart show – this is my friend Andrea and my other friend Andrea. Please tell me I'm not the only one old enough to remember that show or to know what I'm talking about? Anyway….


We had quite an adventure getting home. The movie let out at 9:30pm nearly on the dot. After what felt like being herded out of the theater, we made a bee-line for the train station. We had approximately 12 blocks to cover in about 13 minutes. We started walking, then walking fast then jogging to all out running. Mind you all three of us were in flip-flops and skirts. Do you have that mental picture? Moving on…..


We ran past this large group of older people (most I saw as I was running by had grey hair or at least nearly grey) who were enjoying the end of their meal sitting outside a cafĂ©/restaurant. As we drove by we heard some cheering and saw this grey (nearly white) haired gentleman holding a white napkin up in the air. What the? Since I felt like we were being made fun of by those at the table I said aloud – yes we are training for a marathon – trying to bring some humor. I didn't think I said it loudly. As we ran by the buy brought the napkin down and screamed something inaudible and the table cheered. He was pretending we just ran through the finish line. At this point I am now cracking up because I found that to be pretty funny. I guess that's why one would crack up at something. Okay….


We had some trouble finding an open entrance into the train station. Would two Andreas and a Dawn make it to the train on time? The answer….not so much. Missed it by about 2 minutes. What a bummer. All that running, all that sweating for nothing but a fun memory and a great story. Oh well, can't have it all. We walked a few blocks to take the bus instead rather than wait for the next train which would be an hour later. I only got home maybe about 10 minutes before the later train would have arrived though (and 2 hours after the movie ended). Oh well….


How was the movie you ask? I enjoyed it. I wonder how much of it is actually the way it happened and how much is 'creative license.' Can't exactly ask Jane Austin. I had a hard time with the ending. Not that I didn't like the way the story ended; I didn't like the way the end of the story was portrayed on the screen. I don't want to ruin it for anyone who may go see it, so if you want to know more you'll have to ask. Until then….

1 comment:

Katie Sue said...

I'm SO jealous! Not of your marathon training (although that does sound humorous) but of your chance to see Becoming Jane! I can't wait! Of course my obsession with Ms. Austen doesn't help at all, and like you, I plan to do some research to see how accurate it all is. So I'll give you a ring when I'm done with the movie and we can chat about it!