Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Up, Up & Away

For years now I have wanted to parasail. Why, I don't know. I'm not the daredevil, seek out adventure kind of person. But something about parasailing intrigued me. So, when I went on my mini vacation, I decided to give it a shot.

Lucky for me I have two friends who were kind enough to come on the boat with me. Cindy started out strictly as a passenger but somewhere along the way decided to sail with me. Mandy stuck to her guns as an observer and took some truly spectacular pictures as our on board photographer.I knew I didn't want to go first. I wanted to see what I was in for. The 'captain' asked who wanted to go first and this little kid raised his hand. So the captain sent up the only couple on the outing first instead. So glad he asked who was going first. Seems we didn't have a choice for our order and Cindy and I ended up last.

The other guy on the boat got us both strapped into this swing type seat. As he was tying the swing seat to my life jacket he proceeded to calmly tell me to be aware of sharks. Just yesterday, he said, there was a whole school of them following the boat. Uh huh. And one of them was named Jaws right? Nice try dude.

It was our turn. We made our way to the back of the boat, got hooked up to the parasail itself and there was no turning back from there. Once attached we were suddenly flying and I do mean flying backward into the air. Seriously, that thing just shoots you up there. You can tell by my face that I'm not exaggerating.It's a very odd feeling. Once you get up to a certain height (I'm not even going to begin to guess how high up we were) you just kind of float in the air. You can hear the wind in the sail. You can also hear the quiet, except for Cindy and I questioning our sanity.
We were looking around and below at the boats, jet skis, beach, buildings etc. All of a sudden we are leaping tall buildings in a single bound. Or just lifted even higher into the air. Seriously, we were high up there. I looked down and our boat was so small. It looked like a toy.After what felt like days being left up there, we were suddenly being reeled in like giant fish. Slowly we crept out of the sky. In order to land we were told to keep our legs out straight and we would be gently place on the back of the boat. Obedient little bees that we are, we did as we were told and landed safely on the back of the boat.
I haven't been that happy to see land since I got off the plane on my way back from Turkey in 2004.

We did it. Another adventure under my belt. Although I'm not ready to sign up and go again this weekend, I am glad that I did it. And I am especially glad that Cindy went with me and Mandy was on the boat and taking pictures. Especially glad.

This, after all, is the great adventure and I'm glad that I've been given adventurers to travel with.

No comments: