Saturday, February 10, 2007

Adventures in Urban Traveling

It's cold. Okay, not Oswego, NY cold but cold nonetheless; especially for this AZ girl. Every morning on my way to work I take the train into the city. I get off and walk about 3 blocks to my building. On my journey I have to walk through what we affectionately call 'the wind tunnel'. It's just your typical city, walk between buildings, get blown away business. Anyway, it can do a number on ya on any given day, especially when it's icy cold wind that whips you in the face. So, I got a bright idea this week. I'd get off my train in Center City Philadelphia and take the underground trolley the rest of the way. This trolley would let me off directly across from my building. Sweet....and warm!

So, Monday comes around and I find the trolley with no problem (after someone at work told me it was kind of complicated to get to. I followed the signs; not too complicated.) There was only one other person on the trolley and the driver was so sweet. I asked if it stopped at 33rd St. before getting on. She let me know that it did indeed stop at my stop. She also was kind enough to let me know that every trolley regardless of # stopped at 33rd. I thanked her, sat down, and got off at my stop. It was fabulous, especially when Monday morning was 9 below 0. That's cold.

Tuesday comes along and I wake up to some snow on the ground. After cleaning off my car and waiting for my train, I got off at the same stop and once again found the trolley station. Since it had snowed over night, everyone in Philadelphia (or so it seemed) had the same idea to take the trolley. Whereas Monday I had a choice of seats and shared a trolley with one other person most of the way, Tuesday the whole city was trying to squeeze in. I happen to get on one and found a seat next to a young kid. Early high school age I think. Now there are people standing everywhere so it's a tight squeeze. The kid needed to get off before my stop. No problem. I got up and attempted to move into the aisle to allow the kid out. Now instead of going to the front where there were less people standing at this point, he decides he wants to head out the back. So, he squeezes past me and others who were standing there. In the process I lost hold of the stuff in my hands and was trying to catch everything before it fell to the ground. I managed to get hold of everything (I'm bent over at this point with my bag up against my leg - but it's not one the ground) and as I was trying to stand up straight to return to my seat the trolley jerked to a start (as it always does) and down went Dawn. I fell backward and luckily fell directly into my seat. That sounds good except for the fact that these are hard seats, I have a boney butt and I fell directly in between two seats - you know that lip that separates the seats. Yeah, that felt good. I was SO grateful not to have fallen flat on my face in the trolley aisle though. If I had to choose I'll take the sore butt.

Wed and Thurs were pretty uneventful in comparison. Although each day I misread which door would be opening and just made it out of the trolley each time before the doors closed. Friday rolled around and I figured I'm going to get it today. I'm going to use the force and choose the right door.

I get on with no trouble. The trolley is kind of light. I sit in a double seater by myself, right by the doors. I stand at the doors as we get to my stop (and managed to keep all my things with me). The trolley stops and neither door opens. So, I stand and wait in the middle, not to miss the correct door this time. Suddenly the driver comes over the loud speaker thing. The speakers make this ding sound when the driver is ready to announce the next stop. Suddenly I hear - ding "step down". Okay, it takes me second to realize that the driver is referring to me and she is also trying to help me get out of the steal cage that I am in at the moment. Her words register and I step down and low and behold the doors open. Who knew!?!

Good times. I do love public transportation. I get to fly by on the train while others are experiencing road rage along the highways and roads. It does make for adventures in traveling though.

No comments: