Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Oh the Weather Outside is Frightful....

The Valentine's Day Storm is upon us. Yes, the media names storms; probably in part so they can have some 'cool' logo to go along with it. The snow started yesterday around 10am or so. Somewhere in the afternoon it switched to this freezing rain/sleet mix. It continued with that throughout the night.

Enter this morning. My alarm went off and unlike many in Philadelphia I did not hit snooze and got up and ready for work. I went outside to start and clean off my car. I didn't quite expect what I got when I went out. There was snow, around 4 inches or snow. In addition to the snow there was a 'nice' layer of rain/sleet permenantly attached to all of my windows. Fun times. Okay, so we didn't get 11 feet like some other places say Oswego, NY. But for the AZ girl that I am, any amount of snow is a lot of snow in my opinion.

So, I stood outside trying desperately to clean off my windshield, back and side windows while the freezing rain that was still falling was slapping me in the face. The wind was a whippin'. There were a few times where I literally asked myself out loud what in the world I was doing. I kept looking around and for the longest time there was NO ONE else outside. I kept wondering if they all knew something I didn't. That whole cleaning off the car thing kind of took longer than expected. Then began the journey of driving to the train station.

Once my car was clean enough that I could see out the windows (a very important fact if you ask me), I began driving. I made it down the hill, out the parking lot and into the street. I expected to find the streets plowed. However, I found one big slushy mess. I made it down the street to my turn. I took the right turn slowly, in one of my lower gears. I slowly made my way up the hill. I looked in my rearview mirror, as most drivers do, and found an interesting sight. A mini van was behind me sliding all over the road. Now I don't know if it was a non-snow-experienced driver, someone trying to have 'fun' in the snow or a legitimate slider. Regardless, I gripped the steering wheel a bit harder (as if my knuckles weren't white already) and continued praying that I would not be hit from behind. I continued on my way and continued to see the mini van behind me sliding along the road. We came to a stop light and I braced myself. Luckily for me, the van did not hit me. I managed to make a left turn through that intersection and continue on yet another slushy road. Then came my right onto the hill that would take me down to the train station parking lot. Oh Jesus, here we go.

Okay, so I continued to talk to God and my car along the drive down the hill. As the car in front of me continuously braked (and I was wondering - what are you thinking, down shift don't brake), I managed to make it to the bottom of that hill without being hit or sliding, even when the bus passed me in the other direction (with the plow in front, may I add). Phew!

I also managed to turn left and head up and down that hill to get to the station. Once I got there I now had to turn into the parking lot and actually park my car in the snow covered, icy layered stuff on the ground. I continued to remain white knuckled and managed to even back my car into a 'spot' in the lot. I walked and missed my train by about 30 seconds. Luckily the local was only 5 minutes behind. I sat down and was SO grateful that I didn't slide, I wasn't hit and I made it safely; stupid as it might have been to even go to work. As we decided at work, once you get started it's hard to turn around. You're already up and dressed and out in the mess so why not continue on. In some ways, honestly, it becomes this 'I must go', 'I must make it there' kind of thing. I will get to the station; I will get to the station....

I took mass transit to work and once I emerged from underground the city was not any cleaner. The main thoroughfare through the city of Philadelphia was one giant slush mess. Now it was fun to cross that one. At least I didn't fall on my butt. That would have been fun. Not many people were at work today and we did leave a bit early. It's crazy cold outside and is only going to get colder. Temps didn't get above freezing and won't for God only knows how long. Tomorrow we are supposed to have insane winds and the wind temps will be below zero. So, the snow isn't melting any time soon. I admit that I am a bit nervous about trying to drive in the morning. My parking lot here at my complex is snowed over. Will I get out of my parking spot in the morning (considering I was spinning trying to get in the spot)? Tomorrow has enough worries of its own. Leave it for tomorrow. Tomorrow I will white knuckle it again and make my way in to the city. Look at the bright side - it will be 'sunny' (I use that term loosely having lived in AZ - the sunniest place on earth) for the next two days; we don't have 11 feet of snow; I get to take public transportation so I don't have to drive and park in the city; I have something to write on this blog. All bright spots indeed.

Oh Spring, Spring; where fore art though?

No comments: