Wednesday, February 28, 2007

One Stitch, Two Stitch...

I have always wanted to learn how to knit. I never thought I'd get my first lesson in a bar surrounded by people playing poker and drinking beer.


My apartment complex is owned by a company but managed by another apartment complex I call the Mother Ship. The Mother Ship houses the swimming pool, fitness center (I use that phrase loosely), club house, tennis courts etc. They have started this idea of clubs or groups. Residents of any of the complexes that feed off the Mother Ship can start a group that they'd like. The Mother Ship will help with advertising and offsetting any costs. One resident decided to start a knitting group.


Last night was the first meeting. We were supposed to meet in the fitness room but there was a tae kwon do class going on at the time. They were supposed to end at 8:30pm at which time we would start. When our group leader went in to ask about when their class would end, she was told they would be at least 15 more minutes. No one pushed the envelope – after all, she's a tae kwon do teacher. I wouldn't mess with anyone who could injure me with one kick of the leg or punch of the arm and a resounding "hut-he-yah". (I mean no offense to anyone who takes or knows tae-kwon-do and I don't mean to make fun of your discipline.)


So, our only other choice was to meet around a table in the bar area. So there we were – about15 women – sitting around a table in a bar holding our needles and balls of yarn ready to learn. We got some stares (some trying to figure out what we were doing and why and others checking out some of the women walking in) and some comments (one guy wanted to join the group next week after seeing some 'hot' chicks). Screaming as she spoke (to be heard over the music, the table slapping and the lovely words coming from people's mouths), our leader introduced us first to the concept of casting on.


She gave us some diagrams to help us with the process. Now I am a visual learner. However, I just looked at these diagrams with a "huh?" look on my face. Seated next to me was a girl who pulled out her dog sweater that she was working on and started to knit away. Show off. :-)


She came because it was a chance to meet other people who knit or were interested in learning. Regardless of her motivation, she turned out to be a huge help. She saw the look on my face and helped me figure out how to form the correct knot and cast on appropriately. Then she also helped me to figure out the knit stitch. Good grief, people who knit make it look so easy. After a while I finally got the hang of it. Let's hope I don't forget by next time.


I am excited to knit myself a scarf and who knows what else. I thought the scarf was a safe place to start – seems fairly basic and if it looks horrible, I'll just wear it under my coat and no one else has to know.


I am excited to go back next week. We can only hope for an open fitness room or the knitting group is once again taking over the bar.

No comments: