Friday, February 22, 2008

Snow Day

Currently outside my window there is snow and some freezing rain/sleet/wetness is currently falling from the sky. I know that I hate snow but there is something pure and beautiful about it. As I was outside cleaning off my car this morning I noticed there is just a peaceful silence that surrounds snowfall that seems to speak volumes. That is until some car goes whizzing by. But in that still moment there really is tremendous beauty.

I love that as I was brushing mountains of snow off my car, there was this bird chirping while sitting in a tree nearby. I'm sure it was freezing it's feathers off and saying what I have been saying since around January 12 - I'm so over winter. It was just a precious reminder that although winter is here and the harsh temperatures and weather will linger a while longer, spring is around the corner. The winter makes the spring that much more brilliant.

I had a similar experience with a bird about this time last year. There is a blog in my archive about that. It's funny how God uses repeated circumstances/situations in our lives to remind us of truth. Spring is coming. It is almost upon us. But if my eyes are solely focused on spring, I may miss those moments of pure, quiet beauty that only come in winter. Truth - they are easier to recognize when it's a snow day.

No comments: