Tuesday, April 22, 2008

I Stand Corrected

In my post below, To Bow is to be Sued, I kind of ranted about a court case in New Jersey involving a coach, his team and prayer. I admit that I got my information from an article I read on-line (that was actually from a newspaper). I also admit that I did not read a lot of background information, particularly the court documents themselves. I fell into the media trap.


Luckily I have a friend who is about to graduate law school (congratulations Erin, I'm proud of you) who commented on that post and set me straight. Or at least it gave me some nuggets to chew on. She did read the court opinions, took all that legalese and translated it into English that we non-lawyers can understand. I encourage you to read her comments under that post.


In addition, my friend Katie is a high school teacher. She posted a comment from the perspective of an educator. I encourage you to read her comments as well.


I actually support the separation of church and state as a protector of both the church and the state. It's the personal interpretations and the 'how do we live that out on a daily basis' that I have a hard time with. The lines can become so blurry; freedoms can be interpreted in many ways. Someone's "freedom" to take up two seats on the train violates my "right" for a seat, especially when we each paid for one seat. That's a funny and unrelated example but I think the point is there (and not to mention it's something we commuters face on a near daily basis).


I'm grateful to have friends in law places that can set the record straight. Something tells me though, this won't be the last time it'll happen.

No comments: