Thursday, April 24, 2008

Since the weather has turned nice I've started getting off the train at an earlier stop than normal and walking to work. My ipod, trench coat, sneakers and I have loved the opportunity to be outside. It's truly a glorious time.


Today was Bring Your Kid to Work Day (or whatever they are calling the 'holiday' these days). So, on my walk this morning I saw quite a few kids walking with their dads. Yup, I only saw dads taking their kiddos to work today. Some kids walked with little backpacks on, some were in shorts, some dressed up for the day, some were holding dad's hand and others were content to walk beside or in front of their fathers. It truly was a beautiful site. One dad was walking with his three daughters all varying in age, one young enough that she wanted to hold dad's hand. Another father was walking holding his young son's hand (they were dressed alike by the way – it was adorable) and when they got closer to the buildings the boy was jumping up and down pointing at buildings asking, 'is that it?' Although I was touched by them all, boys and girls and some proud looking dad's alike, there was one little girl that caught my attention.


She was walking just in front of her father. She had on a cute little outfit with a denim jacket. She walked as if there was no where else she'd rather be. Her confident, proud, excited walk struck me, even from a short distance away. As they got closer our eyes met and she had the biggest smile on her face. Her little face lit up. She knew she was all that and a bag of chips. Her smile, her walk and her eyes said it all. Her dad was taking her to work. She was clearly proud of that and clearly excited for the adventure she'd already had on the train into the city and walking the streets of Philadelphia, and the adventure of the office that was yet to come.


I couldn't help but both smile and tear up as I continued my walk to my office. Oh to look at life through the eyes of a child. No wonder Jesus wanted the little children to come to him. There is something about life through a child's eyes. This little girl felt valued, felt proud to be her father's daughter, and felt excited for a trip to work. Perhaps I should view my walk to the office in that light from here on out. Then someone else may say about me, I saw this woman that caught my attention…..

1 comment:

Katie Sue said...

Here here! In this book I'm reading there's a passage called, More Than Ya'll. It tells the story of a woman who began to feel/discover that Jesus loved her "more than ya'll." Not that He loves others less, but rather that we realize and see that He has an intimate love just for us. We feel like his favorite! That sounds to me like exactly what that little girl was feeling; her daddy loved her more than ya'll.