Saturday, May 24, 2008

The Rainbow Connection

This week we've had several days we've had the kind of weather where half the sky is sunshine half rain clouds. That's ripe sky for a rainbow. To know me is to know my craziness for the 'bow. It's been a long time since I've seen one. Seriously, can't remember the last time.


So, at least twice this week, when the sky seemed ripe, I asked Jesus for a rainbow. I seriously felt I needed one. No rainbow when I got out of my car after work. No rainbow when I got back from my run/walk. Both times I was sure I would see one. Since I didn't immediately, I went inside and looked out my window just knowing that when I moved the blinds I'd be blinded by a 'bow. Both times not so much. I admit I was disappointed. Twice.


Thursday night my Bible study/book club was meeting at my apartment. A small storm rolled its way in while we were starting our discussion. After the rain stopped, out of the corner of my eye I saw sun shinning on some really dark rain clouds. In the middle of my sharing I felt this overwhelming need to run to the sliding glass door to my tiny balcony. Still speaking (yet not acknowledging what I was doing), I jumped up, drew back the blinds and there, in all its glory, was a rainbow.


Apparently I must have said something because everyone was up and racing for the doors. We all squeezed onto my balcony and there, directly in front of us was a glorious site. Not only did Jesus answer my request for a rainbow he answered with brilliance. There was no tiny rainbow before us. There was a giant, sweeping across the entire sky, bright double rainbow. I didn't just get one. I got two. Yea, Jesus loves me that much.


Sometimes when we bring our desires to God he appears to be silent. Sometimes his answer to our request is no. Sometimes his answer is wait. The two times I asked for a 'bow and didn't get one I was disappointed. All I wanted was to see a little rainbow. I mean how hard could that be for him?


When I wasn't really looking, the answer I got was more than I had even asked for. I asked for a little 'bow and I got giant, double brilliance. God is like that. He is able to do immeasurably more than all we could ask or imagine. And sometimes, he does just that.

No comments: