Thursday, May 22, 2008

Tales from the I.C.U.

A friend of mine was rushed to the hospital this week. She had a seizure at work and after multiple tests, including a CAT scan and a brain MRI, it seemed she had a blood vessel burst and there was bleeding on her brain. When I got to the hospital the day after the seizure we learned that there were two doctors that differed on treatment options. One said brain surgery and the other medication. I liked the medication guy even though I had no idea who he was or what his credentials were. He got my vote. Kick the other one off the island.


When I heard the phrase brain surgery the first thing that popped into my mind was Dr. McDreamy. I told another friend we could fly him out to perform the surgery. Perhaps that was an emotional and/or verbal tic of sorts. Fear and a sense of uncomfortableness can often be disguised with humor.


We went into the cafeteria with our friend's sister so she could grab something to eat. We couldn't help but look around for the table of interns and/or residents sitting around. Perhaps I've watched Grey's Anatomy a bit too much. No such interns or residents. TV doesn't always emulate life. And sometimes it's just bad timing (maybe they ate earlier).


Long 'I hate hospitals, especially the ICU' story later, the latest is she is home. She will not be having brain surgery anytime soon. The medication doctor won out. See, I told you I liked him. Wait. Maybe that doctor is a she. That might explain it.


Thank you Jesus!


Some time I'll have to share all of the "I saw God here" moments from that day/night. Oh he was certainly there. How else would you explain having enough money in coins to pay for the ridiculous charge of parking at the hospital? Like we wanted to be there. It's not like we were shopping for bed pans. That's just one of many stories.


We love you BG! Praise God for you my friend. I'm glad that for you, it's all gravy. Here's to many more years of this warrior princess life we live. I look forward to journeying it with you.

No comments: