Wednesday, March 14, 2007

I am woman...

I am reading Captivating by John and Stasi Eldridge. This is my second time reading it and it is just a fabulous book. If you haven't read it, you should consider it. You won't regret it.

There is a section that I read on the train on the way home that hit me like a ton of bricks. I thought I'd share it.

"Most of you thought the things that have happened to you were somehow your fault - that you deserved it. If only you had been prettier or smarter or done more or pleased them, somehow it wouldn't have happened. You would have been loved. They wouldn't have hurt you. And most of you are living with the guilt that somehow it's your fault you aren't more deeply pursued now. That you do not have an essential role in a great adventure. That you have no beauty to unveil. The message of our wounds nearly always is, 'this is because of you. This is what you deserve.' It changes things to realize that, no, it is because you are glorious that these things happened. It is because you are a major threat to the kingdom of darkness. Because you uniquely carry the glory of God to the world. You are hated (by the enemy) because of your beauty and power."

Not so easy to believe but words that I need to let sink in.

"You really won't understand your life as a woman until you understand this:
You are passionately loved by the God of the universe.
You are passionately hated by his Enemy."

That's a bit powerful. Defenitely going to need more time to soak in that.

No comments: