Monday, June 2, 2008

Fairness & God

Our pastor is currently preaching a series on the lies that we tend to buy into. The sermon at church this past week was titled Life is Fair. That certainly is a lie. For life is anything but fair. Then again our sense of fairness usually means things are going our way or we are getting what we want. When we don't, we tend to scream it's not fair. (those sentences are my own take on the sermon, not words my pastor used)


The sermon reminded me of a conversation I had with some dear friends a while back in Arizona. My friend Kim was commenting how it's easy for us to say 'God is good' or use some other phrase with the same meaning when things are going our way and when we get what it is that we want. She then posed an insightful question. Do we say the same phrase; do we feel the same way when things are seemingly not going our way or when we aren't getting what we want? Kim asked that question that day and it came out of a painful place she was in at the time. It's a powerful question. The answer, at least for me I'm afraid, isn't always yes. In fact, it's seldom yes. I tend to let my circumstances be my barometer for far too many things.


The truth is God is God regardless of my circumstances. It doesn't have to feel true to be true.


It's probably a good thing that life isn't fair. Otherwise, every time we broke the law and went over the speed limit we'd get a ticket. Every time we used the copier at work for personal copies or grabbed something from the printer tray that we got online for personal use we'd be charged a fee. On and on it goes.


"God is God and I am not. I can only see a part of the picture he's painting. God is God and I am man, so I'll never understand it all for only God is God." Steven Curtis Chapman

No comments: