Wednesday, June 11, 2008

I will rise

You know the phrase 'old habits die hard'? Well I have a new one. New habits can fizzle. So much for a habit. I was this close. My confession; I have only run once this week. I didn't quite make it to the 'habit day.' I have my reasons:

It was hot outside. We broke records left and right. As a matter of fact my section of Philly was on the news due to an electric cable breaking and us losing power. It was way to hot to pound the pavement.

I am lazy. There is no way on God's green earth I was getting up at 5am to run before the crazy heat started and before getting ready to go to work. It's not happening. Not even on the morning I woke up at 5am on my own. No siree. (What was that about anyway?)

I hate the gym. Sure I could have run on a treadmill in a 'nice' 'air conditioned' place (I use both words loosely. Nice and gym do not go together.) But then again no. See first sentence.

So for all of the ways I boasted about maybe being a runner I have to take that back now. A real runner would not have let any of that list get in the way. Okay so maybe I'm not a "real runner." Not yet anyway. Oh but I'll get there. A real runner I will be. The habit mark I will pass.

Like Confucius said, "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." So, I've fallen. But unlike that old lady in the life alert commercial I can get up. I'll rise. I'll suck wind again, that's for sure (especially since I'm now a week behind schedule). But I will rise. And I will run.

No comments: