Monday, June 9, 2008

I *heart* Country Music

Believe it or not there is a country radio station in Philadelphia. Hard to believe I know. It’s been here for 24 years actually. The station is so cool that it threw itself an anniversary party. And I got to go. For free.

This wasn’t just any kind of party. It was an all day, outdoor country music fest. The lineup was fantastic. I saw Chuck Wicks, Keith Anderson, Pat Green, Billy Ray Cyrus (yes it’s true), Terri Clark and my current favorite Sugarland.

I had two tickets so my friend Anita from college flew up to hang out this weekend and go with me. Little did she (or I) know what we’d be in store for. All week ‘they’ were calling for thunderstorms on Saturday. I wasn’t sure if we’d even get to go. Well, thunderstorms turned into excessive heat instead. The temperatures hit around 96. Add the humidity to that and the heat index was nearly 110. Now imagine yourself sitting on a giant field in those conditions with no shade and several thousand other people. It was crazy. I think I sweat my full body weight. And that was before 1pm. I applied and reapplied sunscreen and still managed to burn in places. In fact I’m radiating heat as I type.

In spite of that heat it was such a great time. The artists were so good and I loved every minute of it. Seriously, if you have the chance to see Sugarland take it. They are great in concert. I was reminded how much I love country music. Seriously, I *heart* country music. I was also reminded of how good it is to spend time with ‘old’ friends.

Anniversary Show tickets, $0. Parking $20. Water and food $18. Making memories with an ‘old’ friend while rockin’ out to country music and sweating like no other – priceless!



2 comments:

NC_Hildebrands said...

No matter how much sun screen you apply, your neck always gets red listening to country music. :)

Mark said...

Hey there! I am new to this site and stumbled across this blog while searching for "country music" (must be bored). I was at that Anniversary Show and also remember the heat being as incredible as the show itself. What a blast! Keep rockin' out to that country music. I'm getting ready for Toby Keith/Montgomery Gentry tonight!!