Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Running to Habit

I am now in my 3rd week of this running program. “They” say that 21 days builds a habit. So I’m nearly at the habit stage. This week the task is to jog for 90 seconds, walk 90 seconds, jog 3 minutes, and walk 3 minutes. Repeat. Um, excuse me? Jog for how long? Just last week, a mere 2 days ago, I was jogging for 90 seconds and now you want me to double that? You’ve got to be kidding me.

I did it though. I realized a few things while I was running tonight. And these are in no particular order. A mere 2 weeks and a few days ago I would have come up with any excuse not to run. Like tonight. It’s windy and a storm is on the way. I would have talked myself out of it 2+ weeks ago. Tonight, I wanted to go as soon as I got home to get the run in before the rain came. Does that make me an official runner now? Well, maybe I have to wait a few more days until I officially pass the habit day.

I also realized maybe I should change my goal. My goal was to run 3 miles without needing an oxygen tank. After my run today I think that goal should be changed to one mile. Perhaps I should start smaller. That 3 minutes nearly sent me over the edge.

Seriously, the first one wasn’t so bad but when that second 3 minute run rolled around again I wanted to use some not so nice words. I tried to break it down into 30 second increments thinking that would ease the pain. I know. It’s only 3 minutes. Seems like nothing. Until you start running. But then once minute 2 passed I seem to get a second wind. That last 60 seconds wasn’t so bad.

I’m so hoping this gets easier.

Here’s to habits. And nearly habits. And becoming a runner.

2 comments:

Erin said...

good habit to develop! I think i want to try to get into running too. Both of my roommates ran a marathon in December, so I feel like a lazy bum next to them. I can barely run a mile without stopping too. From my distant days of running more regularly, i can tell you though that once you get up to two miles, it's A LOT easier to increase the miles you can run. You can jump from 2 miles to like 4 or 5 miles in a week. It's just getting those first few miles under your belt that's tough....but you'll be there before you know it! :-) Thanks for the blog! It inspired me to dig out my running shoes :-)

Katie Sue said...

I applaud you for even trying! It's more than I could ever do. My suggestion (this from a girl who doesn't jog...) is to sing a whole song in those three minutes. Most songs are three minutes and I find if your mind is focusing on what the next lyrics are then I'm less focused on whatever painful situation I'm in. But again...I'm not feeling my legs ache with no oxygen to take in for three long minutes. I will again repeat, I'm very proud of you for even sticking to it!