Monday, July 21, 2008

Thou Shall Not Walk

I am about to enter week 7 of my 9 week running program. (I would be in week 8 if it weren't for my falling off the wagon that one week.) This whole program has been a combination of walking and running for various lengths of time. This morning I entered into the world of all running and no walking (except for the brief warm-up walk at the beginning).


This morning I was tasked with running for 25 minutes with no waking. 25 minutes. Do you know long 25 minutes is? That's 1,500 seconds. That's longer than a 30 minute sitcom on TiVo when you skip through the commercials. It's a long time.


I'm so glad for my ipod. At one point Eye of the Tiger came on and I channeled my inner Rocky for a few minutes. Another point a dance song came on and I was suddenly dancing on Dancing with the Stars. Hey, you gotta pass the time somehow.


I kept telling myself I could walk if I needed to. I figured it's a mind game anyway so if I told myself I could then I probably wouldn't want to. I played the 'just run to that corner and then you can walk' game once or twice. I never did walk. I ran the whole way. I felt invigorated; sweaty and really gross but invigorated.


I need to figure out my breathing. Anyone have any tips about that?


In the meantime, from here on out, I'll take it one stride, one song at a time. It's a good thing because walking is no longer an option.

No comments: