Thursday, July 31, 2008

Too Much Profit?

With a show of hands, who likes to make a profit? Yup, my hand is raised too. That's how most of us get paid. I wonder, however; Is there such thing as too much profit?

I read the following on cnn.com this morning:

"Exxon Mobil once again reported the largest quarterly profit in U.S. history Thursday, posting net income of $11.68 billion on revenue of $138 billion in the second quarter. That profit works out to $1,485.55 a second."

What? This just really feels wrong to me. Nearly every business has reported losses. Gas and food prices are through the roof. The economy, whether the government will admit it or not, is in a recession. But Exxon is making billions.

Meanwhile families have to choose between buying milk and eggs for the refrigerator or gas for the car. The budget doesn't quite go as far as it used to. But Exxon is making billions.

Again, I get that everyone needs to make a profit. I'm not faulting Exxon for making money. It's just I have a problem with that much money. In a three month time period.

So I ask the question again. Is there such thing as too much profit? My empty wallet thinks so.

No comments: